1971 Followers
sharonmartin

Beck Valley Books

Afric - Eileen Enwright Hodgetts

That feeling when you start reading a book and you know after one line this is the book for you, this is that book.  An excellent read, I love the fact that it is centered around a country and continent which has a lot of mystique and tradition, which we are still trying to understand.

Based around East Africa and Uganda this story is about witchcraft, war, tribal feuds and control. If you understand African traditions, beliefs and general way of life then this is the book for you. If you don't, then a word of caution, you will find certain parts of the story line upsetting.

The novel revolves around a murder and a baby, who has been cursed by the local witch doctor and who the warlord wants in order to cure his tribe.  On the other side we have a young 18 year old american girl who on her first visit to Uganda believes it is her destiny to rescue and keep the baby from harm.

The historic references and the fact that the story jumps from the past to the present explains the changes and the power struggle which ensues.  It's fast paced, with excellent descriptive scenes and describes perfectly the rules of a nation where the basic rule and law is to survive.  Also along with this is the way of the tribes and how you are dealt within that tribe depicts how you will treat and behave towards outsiders and nothing stops the tribe moving on ruling by terror.

I cannot praise this book high enough and this is my favourite read of the year,  I must again stress that it is down to the tribal feuds and understanding of the story line, as mentioned some readers might find this upsetting.

Source: http://beckvalleybooks.blogspot.com