1964 Followers
sharonmartin

Beck Valley Books

Eighty and Out - Kim Cano

As with all of Kim Cano's books that I have read, you become mesmerized by the story, the characters come to life somehow making a special bond with the reader, you instantly feel connected to them.  This is a beautiful, gentle story of coming of age, love, loss, despair and happiness,

The story follows two sisters, Lou and Jeannie, along with Lou's best friend Bernice.  They found themselves growing up in the racial hate timeline which was harsh and choosing whether to follow the pressure groups or your own heart and beliefs is a choice that they must make.  Another choice the sisters made together was never to allow themselves to live past 80, to end up as their poor Aunt Violet has, living in a nursing home with her full life withering away to frailty.

As they grow through school, college and beyond their friendships grow, relationships start with the innocence of first love and dreams of their futures are created. But do they allow their hearts to win over their minds and follow their dreams ?  Do they stick to their childhood sisterly pact?

There is always a lovely tone when reading this author's work, the light humor to this one made me smile from the things the parents said to the kids themselves and the way their minds work.  Although I felt the emotional highs, I also felt the tremendous lows and the story line definitely pulled at my heartstrings with some of the sadness. I have to admit though at one part of the book I did shout out with anger, but I'm not telling you why!

I loved the close bonds of friendship and the sisterly love within the story. I also loved that the story highlighted that life is precious and love is what keeps life moving on even in those hard times.

Source: http://beckvalleybooks.blogspot.com