1964 Followers
sharonmartin

Beck Valley Books

The Kitchen Mistress (The Letter Series) (Volume 3) - kathleen shoop
Book Review - THE KITCHEN MISTRESS--Katherine’s Story—The Letter Series—Book 3 by Kathleen Shoop 'such an amazing historical and emotional series, the era, the characters, their struggles have been so captivating to follow'....

"I have waited so long for this book to release, it has been my most anticipated read of all the books I have. The Letter Series grabbed hold of me from the first book of this amazing historical and emotional series, the era, the characters, their struggles have been so captivating to follow. It's been quite a while since reading the previous book so I was delighted that the author had included past events to jog my memory and also great for anyone who hasn't yet read the book 1, although I urge you to do so as that is what started my love of this series and the amazing author, Kathleen Shoop.

After so much turmoil Jeanie and her children are together as a family should be, yet after another cruel blow they are left homeless in the town of Des Moines where past events are still held against them in many quarters. Living hand to mouth, desperate to find somewhere to live and be able to stay together, they find a glimmer of hope for better times in the shape of Miss Violet, who gives them jobs and a place to live. Jeanie tends to the gardens while Katherine becomes the kitchen mistress, and I could have sat and read about their daily chores all day long as the author brings them to life so vividly. Yet Katherine has a hidden talent, a talent that could save them all or reduce them to poverty yet again. When Miss Violet uncovers her secret Katherine feels the immense pressure of keeping the family together and will do anything she can to make it happen, she may have had to grown up very quickly but her young age still makes her vulnerable and unaware of the situations around her and the lies being told. Will her risk to save her family from further hardships be worth it or will it bring more heartache? Will they encounter even more despair as events unfold?

Absolutely unstoppable reading, The Letter Series has made such a connection with me, the characters, who now feel like family, warm my heart through their stories and their desperate times, my emotions were pulled as as I continue to want to keep them from harm after all they have been through. The author connects the reader to the past and brings the old era to life so vividly, it simply fascinates me, I didn't want to put it down, a never ending book is the only way to fulfill my needs!

Reading The Kitchen Mistress is like reading a film, the whole story is brought to life in the readers mind through Kathleen Shoop's magnificent writing, you are there in Des Moines watching the characters play out their scenes, feeling their emotions with them, gripped to find out more. A story filled with hope, love, despair and the power of never giving up, and I love every single moment with the Arthurs and am now desperately awaiting their next story."

Read more on the #book, series and author here...

Book Description
For every woman who’s had to choose between the secrets that protect her and the people she loves the most…

1892—Des Moines

Katherine Arthur and her family are back and it’s time to collect the money Mrs. Mellet left them in her will. The tidy sum will allow the family peace of mind and a future that’s stable and fulfilling. But when things don’t go exactly as planned, Katherine steps up to do more than her share. Hired as a kitchen mistress, her intuition (with the help of a mysterious recipe book), cooking prowess, and work ethic make her the perfect partner for the enigmatic, wealthy woman next door. Then Aleksey Zurchenko arrives.

Violet Pendergrass is a well-heeled, progressive woman with half a fortune in one hand and a plan for enduring prosperity in the other. Resourceful, shrewd, and tough, Violet doesn’t realize her one and only weakness leaves her vulnerable as she attempts to solidify her independence. She sees unparalleled value in Katherine’s gifts and does her best to keep the girl close, to keep her true work secret from her mother and the world.

Katherine’s loyalties to her mother and Violet grow strained and soon her commitment to both frays even further as her feelings for Aleksey grow. Katherine must decide if pursuing her work with the formidable Violet and protecting her family are more important than following love. Can she do it all? Love, hope, joy, secrets buried in walls and hearts; all are threatened by those who claim to care about the Arthurs. Can Katherine separate what’s right and true from what it takes to survive? Are they even different things?

The Last Letter Series of novels by Kathleen Shoop is set in the Midwest of America in the late 19th and early 20th century. Shoop takes readers on an emotional journey through love, loss and redemption. Inspired by family letters, the novels pull from historical events and places and feature the life and times of the fictional Arthur family as they make their way in the world.
Source: http://beckvalleybooks.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/book-review-kitchen-mistress-katherines.html