1967 Followers
sharonmartin

Beck Valley Books

Book Review - The Thief's Heart by Kathleen Shoop (from the award winning Letter Series, Book 4) #historicalfiction

The Thief's Heart - Kathleen Shoop
"The author's outstanding writing brings these touching stories so much to life and make the characters feel like long lost friends."

"Being one of my favorite series, I could hardly contain my excitement to get my hands on another installment of the Arthur family and travel back in time with them again. I've loved these stories since the very first book when the family first captured my attention as they found themselves penniless and homeless in the middle of a prairie. The author's outstanding writing brings these touching stories so much to life and make the characters feel like long lost friends.

We travel back in time again to Des Moines, 1892, to be reunited with the Arthur family. Lies, resentment, and corruption are just a few things the Arthur's are faced with when all they want is a family home to feel safe in together but find they are surrounded by deceit and poverty of the times. This is Tommy's story who I really warmed to, my favorite characters running through the series has always been Jeanie and Katherine, but I found myself understanding Tommy's haphazard ways as he jumps from one desperate plight to another to survive. He has a heart of gold, and always strives to support his family from the severe hardships they find themselves in, yet sometimes finds himself conflicted between right and wrong, and pull of temptation. As Tommy and Pearl get closer she seems to have brought some steadiness to his life and I'm looking forward to see how things work out between them.

For readers who have not read the previous books I feel you would be able to follow this quite easily as the Arthur's history is referred to now and then by the author so you are not missing out on the important facts.

It will come as no surprise that I rate this emotive read 5 stars and find myself, yet again, desperate to read the next!"

★ Now available ★

★For anyone who’s ever needed a second chance, to find love, to find the right path in life…
Des Moines, 1892.

After losing their promised inheritance, the Arthur family’s luck finally changes. An extraordinary woman, Violet Pendergrass, provides refuge for them to rebuild their broken lives. Or has she? Handsome fifteen-year-old Tommy Arthur has one foot in manhood and the other dragging up the rear of his boyhood years. He strives to protect and provide for his family, but turning to booze when scared or worried creates as many problems as solutions. Unsure of who he can trust, fiery redhead Pearl Riverside challenges and excites him at every turn, softening his heart toward the idea that goodness exists in the world.

Tension builds between Tommy and his mother as her affection for a generous man increases. At the same time, distance grows between Tommy and his twin sister, Katherine, as each chooses their secrets over family. Violet Pendergrass demands more from Tommy and he begins to question her motives.

When disaster strikes for Tommy’s little sister, Yale, the actions of a sinister judge, a crooked minister, and the infamous charlatan, Dreama, are revealed. Facing more jailtime as vigilante mobs form, the clock runs down on Tommy’s chance to take responsibility for his own choices. Is it too late for him to save his family, to open his heart and fully love those who need him as much as he needs them?

The Last Letter Series of novels by Kathleen Shoop is set in the Midwest of America in the late 19th and early 20th century. Shoop takes readers on an emotional journey through love, loss and redemption. Inspired by family letters, the novels pull from historical events and places and feature the life and times of the fictional Arthur family as they make their way in the world.
Source: http://beckvalleybooks.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-thiefs-heart-letter-series-book-4.html