1971 Followers
sharonmartin

Beck Valley Books

Book Review - Within The Walls of Santo Tomas

Within the Walls of Santo Tomas: A Saga of Captivity and Survival in Manila During World War II - Betty Byron
A saga of captivity and survival in Manila during World War II.  Through access to the First Cavalry Division Museum at Ford Hood in Texas, the author has used historical evidence to create fictional characters to bring to life the horrors of living in a occupied prisoner of war camp under Japanese rule.

Through the eyes of Nurse Molly Martin we sense how difficult it was to survive under an oppressive regime and to exist you have to learn to cheat, scrimp and loose all emotions.   Molly befriends a young man, Scrounger, who becomes the camps savior as he has ways and means of obtaining the basic items needed to survive.  What was Scrounger's secret, is he really a spy for the Japanese?

Certain prisoners in the camp are taken away and never return, these victims are found being operated on by a sinister doctor but for what purpose?   This drives Molly on to survive and make sure that the evil doers are brought to justice.

This is a very emotive story, it will make you really think about what really happened to people who were caught and interned during the war, what horrors and experiments were carried out on them and what gave them the strength to survive.

Based on historical facts and memoirs, this is a really good read which will appeal to anyone who has interest in  prisoner of war survival.
Source: http://beckvalleybooks.blogspot.com