1968 Followers
sharonmartin

Beck Valley Books

Review of Deep Fried and Pickled by Paisley Ray

Deep Fried and Pickled - Paisley Ray

Quirky, endearing, welcoming and warm are words Lynchburg Mama​ used to describe Deep Fried and Pickled by Paisley Ray​.

Immediately out of high school, I set my roots into a community college. I could plan my schedule around work and still live at home. I didn’t really experience much of the “college” life as I found myself buried in assignments, working a second shift job and hadn’t really broken out of my shy shell. During the summer between my freshman and sophomore year, I ended up pregnant with my first son. Thus, my college experience ended and my life course changed.

This book was fun to read. I often found myself wondering where I would have ended up if I had moved off to college like Rachel did. Being a child of the 80’s, I found humor in the trends and way of life. It was nice to read a story that didn’t involve a lot of modern-day, high-tech gadgets. Rachael’s journey solely depended on her own abilities. Even though she doesn’t feel confident in knowing who she is, by the end of the book, I think she is the most stable character in knowing who she is, where her life is going, etc. All of her new friends at the college and the ones she meets on home visits with Katie Lee add some fantastic dynamics to the story.

The quirkiness of the book is quite endearing, welcoming and warm. It’s a great read for when you don’t want something that is completely serious. I can’t wait to read more about Rachael’s college adventures!

Source: http://lynchburgtnmama.com/deep-fried-pickled-paisley-ray-rachael-obrien-chronicles-book-1-book-tour-giveaway-313-ww