1964 Followers
sharonmartin

Beck Valley Books

Please Explain Terrorism To Me​: A Story for Children, P-E-A-R-L-S of Wisdom for Their Parents by Dr. Laurie Zelinger​ and Ann Israeli

Please Explain Terrorism to Me: A Story for Children, P-E-A-R-L-S of Wisdom for Their Parents - Laurie Zelinger, Ann Israeli

"The sections that the children will read (or be read to or with) is done beautifully. The illustrations are really good and the story line really mirrors what a child's life is like. It is written so a child will totally understand most of it--that is where the parents come in. To explain and clarify any questions which might come up. The advice given to parents on how to deal with explaining terrorists and terrorism is in my opinion--spot on.

Unfortunately, terrorism is a fact of modern life and as much as we would like to it is almost impossible to shield kids from everything. It is on the news non stop-on radio-on social media-in their classrooms. They are going to find out one way or another and we as adults have to try and explain what and why so as to hopefully alleviate some of their fears." reviews Miki's Hope​

"With the current climate the world is in and "acts of terrorism" dominating the news it is hard to keep it from the eyes of my inquisitive children, and if I am honest I was finding it hard to explain it all to them, I mean how do you explain it in way to help make them understand without completely scaring them?

This book sets out to do just that. It almost set in two parts - the first part being the story of a boy who catches something on the television about explosions, people dying, and terrorists, to which his mother quickly turns it off, we then see the boy begin to catch more mentions of the incident on the tv, social media and people talking, and he begins to have nightmares. He eventually asks his mom what it is all about, and she sits him down and explains to him. The story is told from a child's perspective and is set alongside colourful illustrations, that were engaging and my kids loved them, it made it a fun but serious read for them." reviews E Book Addicts​

Find out more on the #book and author here...

Book Description

A Story for Children, P-E-A-R-L-S of Wisdom for their Parents

Complemented by exquisite, colorful artwork, Dr. Zelinger skillfully crafts an easily relatable children's story using everyday situations, around the oppressive concept of Terrorism in the news. With masterful understanding of the child's world, new and frightening concepts are introduced carefully and gently, with the child's perspective in mind. Dr. Zelinger provides parent coaching to further the dialogue in her P-E-A-R-L-S of Wisdom section (Prepare, Explain, Answer, Reassure, Listen, Safeguard) where caregivers are given scripts to guide them, as well room for individuality. This pioneer book helps children and parents face a critical, often avoided topic with reassurance and calm.

"This book provides the 'PEARLS' of wisdom for parents and children to discuss a scary topic like terrorism in ways that promote healthy and authentic parent-child conversations that yield to mutual respect and bonding."
--Marc A. Brackett, PhD., Director, Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence

"Deep and yet accessible, her remarkable deciphering of the psychological factors that hinder the free communication between parents and children on terrorism is compelling. This fascinating guide amounts to a riveting lesson of clarity and to a masterpiece in bridging the unbridgeable."
--Hon. Yehuda Lancry, Former Ambassador of Israel to the U.N.

"Please Explain 'Terrorism' to Me is a straightforward and down-to-earth treatment of a difficult subject. Dr. Zelinger uses common sense, a simple clarification of the basic issues, and reassurance to provide a deeper understanding of terrorism for kids--without a corresponding rise in anxiety."
--Thomas W. Phelan, Ph.D., Psychologist/Author

Source: http://beckvalleybooks.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/book-tour-please-explain-terrorism-to.html